Acupuncture is one of the modalities of Oriental medicine. Although what is called acupuncture in the West comprises several different therapies (such as moxibustion and cupping), mostly it consists of the insertion of fine needles into the body at specific points shown to be effective in the treatment of specific health problems. These points have been mapped by the Chinese over a period of two thousand years, and there are more than a thousand known acupoints. In the past three decades, electromagnetic research has confirmed the existence and location of these points.
What problems can be treated by acupuncture?
The World Health Organization recognizes acupuncture’s effectiveness for over 40 common disorders, such as:
- Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders: Toothaches, earaches, sinusitis, rhinitis, laryngitis
- Respiratory Disorders: Colds & flus, bronchitis, asthma, allergies, emphysema
- Gastrointestinal Disorders: Food allergies, nausea, indigestion, diarrhea, constipation, ulcers, colitis
- Circulatory Disorders: Hypertension, high cholesterol, arteriosclerosis, angina pectoris
- Urogenital Disorders: Cystitis, stress incontinence, neurogenic bladder, prostatitis, prostatic hypertrophy
- Gynecological Disorders: Menstrual irregularity, endometriosis, PMS, infertility, menopausal symptoms
- Musculoskeletal Disorders: Tennis elbow, frozen shoulder, TMJ, sciatica, low back pain, arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, fibromyalgia
- Psychoemotional & Neurological Disorders: Depression, anxiety insomnia, headache, migraine, trigeminal neuralgia, dizziness
Dr. Marcia and her team look forward to helping you take control of your well-being! To schedule an appointment, click here to submit an online request for more information or simply give us a call at 803-831-6500